CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

What's In A Name?

These days Sarai is really into pointing out everything she sees while we are driving to and fro and if she doesn't know the name of something, she will ask me, "Is that?" Well, last night we were headed up to the Harbor and she pointed at the geese in the sky and told me "God made that." Then she pointed at the moon and said the same thing. But the question that followed perplexed me a bit. She asked, "God's name mommy?" At first I thought she said "dog's name?" but after she repeated it, I understood her . And to be honest, I wasn't sure how to answer it! I said, "Well honey, we call God, God." Now isn't that just brilliant :-) I think she was looking for a middle and last name since we have been talking to her a lot about her own. Mike wasn't with us in the car so this morning I posed the question to him. Of course Mr. Bible Answer Man looked at Sarai and said, "We call God: Father and Yaweh and Adonai and Jehovah Jirah (he also told Sarai that last name has a fun song you can sing with it). Sarai got a kick out of repeating all these other names back to Mike, some more correct than others, but I'm not sure that will satisfy her question. Since she is only 2, this topic may not resurface again for awhile but I'm starting to think about all the other questions that I'm sure she will come up with in the days, months and years to come. Now I just pray that God will continue to teach me how to answer these questions so that her little heart can learn to love Him as much as I do.

2 comments:

Evie Evie Amber said...

Ohhh excellent answers daddy man! You guys should be so proud of your sweet little Sarai and proud of the values you have instilled in her. There are some great names of God in Traveling Light and When God Whispers Your Name by Max Lucado. My favorites are Yahweh and Jahova Ropa? Nissi? Jireh? Which ever one means the Lord our Provider. I'm so glad this question popped up. What an amazing opportunity! I cna't wait for our children to point and something and declare "God Made That!"

Unknown said...

What a sweet story! It is so cool to watch your kids discover God and to be the ones to help teach them more about Him.

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I have to remind myself to pray daily for Dave because sometimes I tend to forget and get sucked into life. But the reality of life is there isn't anything more important to do than pray for my family....and others.

Love you!