I had the opportunity to review Robin Jones Gunn's Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes! and I thoroughly enjoyed every page of this book.
When a mammogram result comes back abnormal, midlife mama Summer Finley makes a snap decision to relegate fear to the back burner and fulfill a lifelong dream. Summer heads for Holland where she meets up with tulips, wooden shoes, and her best friend, Noelle.
Pen pals since fourth grade, Summer and Noelle have never met face-to-face. Through decades of heart-level correspondence, they have sustained a deep friendship. A week of adventure helps both women trade anxiety for a renewed and deeper trust in God. When Summer confides in Noelle about the abnormal medical report, Noelle finds the freedom to share a long-held heartache, and both women discover they needed each other more than they realized.
Robin Jones Gunn is the best-selling and award-winning author of over seventy books, including the Glenbrooke, Christy Miller, Sierra Jensen, Katie Weldon, and Christy and Todd: The College Years teen series. The Sisterchicks® series has sold more than 300,000 units, bringing her total sales to more than 3.5 million books worldwide. A Christy Award winner, Robin is a popular speaker, both at home and abroad, and is frequently interviewed on radio and on television. http://www.robingunn.com/ http://www.sisterchicks.com/
Robin does a great job of presenting an entertaining story but I also felt challenged along the way. How would I live my life differently if I knew everything might change with one simple test result? Do I really trust God with abandon or do I hold things back from Him? I came away from this book wanting to find the little glimpses of heaven that God reveals to us each day if we will just slow down and notice them. Like the fields upon fields of dazzling tulips Summer had the oportunity to see with her own eyes. Or the experience of visiting Corrie ten Boom's home where she and her family risked their lives to save Jews during WWII. If you are stumped on what to grab before heading to the pool this summer, this book is for you!
And if you want a free copy of Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes!, tell me one of your funniest memories with the "sisterchicks" in your life. Please post your story in the comments to this post. That way we can all enjoy! And on Monday, June 22nd, I will announce the winner. Make sure to include your email address so I can contact you if you are the lucky lady. Can't wait to hear your stories ladies!
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Fun Summer Read
Posted by Mike, Eskai, Sarai and Jadon at 9:45 PM
Labels: churchplantingwives
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I read the Christy Miller series when I was younger. It actually was pretty significant between Phil and I long before we really understood the significance :)
Post a Comment